81. I'd rather you ____ by train because the weather forecast said there would be heavy snow, tomorrow.
A. went B. should go C. will go D. go
82. Einstein won the Nobel Prize in 1921 and enjoyed great fame in Germany until the rise of Nazism ____ he was expelled from Germany because he was a Jew.
A. when B. who C. then D. which
83. Nowhere but in the remotest region of the country ____ find a place to settle down.
A. can he B. he can C. he D. for him to
84. With one leg broken in that car accident, he cannot even walk, ____ run.
A. let alone B. that’s to say C. not to speak D. not to mention
85. ____ , she led a life of complete seclusion.
A. Being disgraced B. Disgraced C. Disgracing D. She was disgraced
86. It ____ to see so many children in that mountainous area cannot even afford elementary education.
A. pains her B. makes her pain C. is paining D. is pained
87. Our boss, Mr. Thompson, ____ a raise in salary for ages, but nothing has happened yet.
A. was promising B. has been promising
C. promised D. has promised
88. A dream is to a person is ____ wings are to a bird.
A. that B. which C. what D. as
89. The man sitting opposite me smiled dreamily, as if ____ something pleasant in the past.
A. to remember B. remembered
C. having been remembered D. remembering
90. I ____ him the Christmas gift by mail because he came home during the Christmas holidays.
A. ought to have sent B. couldn't have sent
C. must have sent D. needn't have sent
91. It is necessary that an efficient worker ____ his work on time.
A. accomplishes B. can accomplish C. accomplish D. will accomplish
92. I know this is the right train. The ticket agent said it would be on ____ .
A. Platform Three B. the Platform Three C. Third Platform D. The Three Platform
93. William is very hardworking, but his play is not ____ for his work.
A. enough good B. good enough C. as good enough D. good as enough
94. I won't take Susan's pen because I don't like ____ .
A. that pen of hers B. that her pen C. her that pen D. that pen of her
95. I didn't call the hotel to make a room reservation, but I ____ .
A. may have B. must have C. should have D. shall have
96. My sister will be here tomorrow, but at first I thought that she ____ today.
A. was coming B. is coming C. must come D. may come
97. Land belongs to the city; there is ____ thing as private ownership of land.
A. no such a B. not such C. not such any D. no such
98. The flats I have looked at so far were too expensive. So I'm better off ____ where I am.
A. stay B. staying C. to stay D. stayed
99. Since the family are moving to a new house, they have to buy new ____ furniture.
A. a lot of B. many C. a few D. as
100. My son walked ten miles today. We never guessed that he could walk ____ far.
A. / B. such C. that D. as
81---90 AAAAB ABCDD
91---100 CABAC ADBAC