41. The message is clear: Just as tea and banana cannot go together, ____ should the son of a low class family expect to marry the daughter of a nobleman.
A. either B. not C. neither D. nor
42. After the Arab States won independence, great emphasis was laid on expanding education, with girls as well as boys ____ to go to school.
A. to be encouraged B. been encouraged C. being encouraged D. be encouraged
43. ____ , a man who expresses himself effectively is sure to succeed more rapidly than a man whose command of language is poor.
A. Other things being equal B. To be equal to other things
C. Were other things equal D. Other things to be equal
44. The project, ____ by the end of 200S,will expand the city's telephone network to cover 1,000,000 users.
A. accomplished B. being accomplished
C. to be accomplished D. having been accomplished
45. ____ ghost exists in the world. That's your illusion.
A. No such a thing as B. No such a thing as a
C. No such thing as a D. No such thing as
46. ____ in the past, at the moment it is a favorite choice for wedding gown.
A. Unpopular has as white been B. White has been as unpopular
C. Unpopular has been as white D. Unpopular as white has been
47. ____ for a long time, the fields are all dried up.
A. There has been no rain B. Having no rain
C. There having been no rain D. There being no rain
48. The millions of calculations involved, ____ by hand, would have lost all practical value by the time they were finished.
A. had they been done B. they had been done C. having been done D. they were done
49. Televisions enable us to see things happen almost at the exact moment ____ .
A. which they are happening B. they are happening
C. which they happen D. they have happened
50. ____ me most was that the young boy who had lost both arms in an accident could handle a pen with his feet.
A. That amazed B. It amazed C. Which amazed D. What amazed
51. Although she wrote a lot of short stories and poems when she was very young, __ she was twenty-five.
A. her first real success did not come until B. her real first success came until not
C. since her first real success did not come until D. not until her first real success
52. You should know better than ____ your little sister at home by herself.
A. to leave B. leaving C. to have left D. left
53. As the train will not leave until one hour later, we ____ grab a bite at the snack bar.
A. may well B. just as well C. might as well D. as well
54. She resorted to ____ when she had no money to buy foods for her children.
A. have stolen B. steal C. stole D. stealing
55. The boy has admitted to ____ the window while playing football yesterday.
A. breaking B. having been broken C. break D. be breaking
56. Anna was reading a piece of science fiction, completely ____ to the outside world.
A. having been lost B. to be lost C. losing D. lost
57. ____ in the United States, St. Louis has now become the 24th largest city.
A. Being the fourth biggest city B. It was once the fourth biggest city
C. Once the fourth biggest city D. The fourth biggest city it was
58. She always put her medication on the top of the shelf lest the children ____ it by mistake.
A. took B. should take C. had taken D. would take
59. The earnings of women are well below that of men ____ educational differences that are diminishing between the two sexes.
A. although B. though C. despite of D. in spite of
60. When I got out of the car and walked about among them, ____ one old man who shook his head disapprovingly, they all began to cheer.
A. see that B. except that C. provided that D. except for
41---50 DCACD DCABD
51---60 AACDA DCBDD