BBC大学校园英语:  04 Freshers' Week 迎新周

BBC大学校园英语: 04 Freshers' Week 迎新周

Narrator: Hello and welcome back to English at University - the series that teaches some English phrases to help you through your first year of study abroad. Mary's a new student whose just arrived at the University of Studies but before her lectures begin there's an important event she can't miss...

欢迎回到校园英语栏目,这个系列节目会教给你一些国外留学第一年会用到的的实用英语句型。玛丽是刚到“学习”大学的新生,但是在她正式上课之前,还有件绝对不能错过的重要活动……

So Mary, are you ready for Freshers' Week?

那么,玛丽,你准备好参加迎新周了吗?

Mary: ...what's Freshers' Week?

迎新周是什么?

Narrator: It's where there are lots of events that'll help you get to know other students or 'freshers'. You can make friends, and find your way around the campus, and hopefully help you start getting used to living in the UK. It's fun... and it starts right now!

在那里有很多活动,可以帮你认识其他的新同学。你可以在那交朋友,熟悉校园,希望这样的活动能让你开始习惯在英国的生活。很有趣……那我们赶紧开始吧!

Mary: Right I'd better go....

好,我该出发了。

Abi: Hey Mary - over here! I run the Get Fit Society – we go running, go to the gym – check out some of the hunks there – fancy joining?

嘿,玛丽——在这呢!我主管健身社团——我们会组织跑步,去健身房——看看那边那几个大块头——要加入吗?

Mary: Well errr....

额,这个……

Abi: Great – just sign here – and give me ten pounds. Thanks. See you later.

好样儿的——就在这签字——再给我十英镑。谢谢啦,一会儿见。

Student 1: Hey, over here – come and join our book club...

嘿,看这——快来加入我们的读书俱乐部……

Mary: Oh...hmmm... well...

嗯……

Student 1: New recruits like you get a discount... just errr... nine pounds.

像你这样的新生入会会有折扣的,只需……额……九英镑。

Narrator: Mary Mary stop! We can tell you're the new kid on the block – someone who's just started university – you don't need to join everything. You need to use some polite ways to say you're not interested – say you're busy, or you haven't got time, or you'll think about it...

玛丽,玛丽,停一下!我们可以说你只是初来乍到——就是刚上大学的新生——你用不着什么都参加的。你只需要用点礼貌用语表明你不感兴趣就好——比如说你很忙啊,你没时间啊,或者说你会考虑考虑之类的……

Mary: Well I'll try but it's not easy saying 'no'.

好吧,我会试试看,但是想拒绝可真不容易。

Student 2: Come and have a stab at Fencing Club...

快来试试剑术俱乐部……

Mary: Fencing? Like sword fighting? Oh interesting... but I'll have a think about it.

剑术?就是击剑吗?啊很有意思……我考虑考虑。

Student 3: Would you like to join the Debating Society?

你想加入辩论社团吗?

Mary: Oh sorry... I don't think I've got the time. Oh, Daniel – it's nice to see a familiar face.

哦,不好意思,我觉得我没时间去辩论。哦,丹尼尔——看见熟人可真好。

Daniel: Yeah, it is, hi. It's all a bit mad isn't it? I've already signed up for Get Fit Soc...

对呀,真好。嗨。这些看起来有点儿疯狂,对吧?我已经加入了健身社。

Mary: Soc?

社?

Daniel: Society. And I've joined the Beer Appreciation Soc... Society.

就是社团。我也加入了品酒社……品酒社团。

Mary: Well that's not really my cup of tea.

那可不是我的菜。

Daniel: Oh right. You're thinking of joining Book Club aren't you? Boring - who wants to read more books eh?

哦,好吧。你是要考虑加入读书俱乐部,对吧?无聊——谁想多读书呐?

Mary: Excuse me Daniel. Hello again... I love reading so I think Book Club sounds great – sign me up please!

丹尼尔,不好意思。嗨,我喜欢读书,所以我感觉读书俱乐部很棒——请帮我签上名!

Daniel: Err yeah... sign me up too mate.

额,帮我也签上,哥们。

Narrator: Poor Mary, she just can't shake off that idiot Daniel – but she has managed to politely say 'no' to some of the people who wanted her to join their clubs and societies by using these phrases...

可怜的玛丽,她可真是甩不掉那个傻乎乎的丹尼尔了——但是她试着用礼貌的方式回绝了一些想要拉她入社的人……

I'll have a think about it.

我会考虑考虑的。

Sorry, I don't think I've got the time.

不好意思,我没时间。

It's not my cup of tea.

那可不是我的菜。

And when she found something she liked, she said:

当她发现她喜欢的社团的时候,她说:

Great! Sign me up please.

太棒了,帮我签上名。

You can practise these phrases, pick up a few more plus learn some top tips for studying in the UK on our website at bbclearningenglish.com. Now, back to novice student Mary... and it's time to let her hair down – I mean relax and enjoy herself...

你可以练习一下这些句型,想要学习更多与在英国留学相关的知识,请登录BBC Learning English.com查阅。现在,回去看看新生玛丽……该让她把头发散开了——我的意思是放松好好玩儿一下……

Abi: Hi Mary! Thanks for joining Get Fit. Now this is the fun bit – par-ty! Time to make some new friends and dump that Daniel. Here, have a drink...

嗨,玛丽!谢谢你加入健身俱乐部!现在是玩乐时间——派对!该去结识一些新朋友了,顺便甩掉那个丹尼尔。来,喝一杯。

Mary: I don't really...

我真的不会……

Abi: Go on, it's your first university party – you've got to get drunk!

来嘛,这是你的第一个大学派对——你该多喝点的!

Mary: No no, really... ooops

玛丽:不用了,真的……

Abi: Oh no!

哦,不。

Prof.Not: They are my new shoes!

纳特教授:这可是我的新鞋!

Abi: Oh, Mary poor.

哦,可怜的玛丽。

Mary: Oh, I'm so sorry... I'm Mary... I'm doing Business Studies.

实在对不起……我是玛丽,我在这学商科。

Prof.Not: Really... well I'm Professor Not – I'm your new lecturer!

真的吗,我是纳特教授——你的新导师!

Mary: Oh no!

哦,不