You are Peter/Mary, Your friend David invited you to his birthday part)r last night, but for some reason you couldn't go. Write him a note apologising for your absence and explaining your reason.
Saturday, April 16th
I am deeply sorry that I did not make it to your birthday party last night. The reason that I did not show up was because I got a call from my professor asking me to do some work for him and I didn't finish till 10 p.m. Still, I bet you guys must have had a lot of fun and I really wish I could have been there. Anyway, I would like to give you your gift in person, although a bit late. Would it be convenient for me to drop by tomorrow evening?
1. I was really tied up in my work for the professor so that I missed your birthday party.
2. My sincere apologies for not being able to attend your party.
3. I hope that you will accept my apologies.
4. I am sure that you were the life and soul of the party, as usual.
5. I hope that you had a great party and will accept my apologies for missing it.
6. How about I buy you dinner today to make up for it?
7. I have your birthday present and will get it to you as soon as I can.